Saturday, January 12, 2008

Our Purpose: Love Your Neighbor, Help the Marginalized

“The Judgment of Nations” in Matthew 25:31, is more eschatological (end times) than a parable as sometimes described by theologians and those in ministry. It appears to be describing a real future event that contains the Christology of Jesus’ last judgment of all people. With titles like son of man, shepherd, king, Lord, and terms like sitting on the throne, servant, power and glory, this passage has been interpreted as Christology of Jesus. Using the form criticism and historical method most theologians will agree that this piece of scripture makes for interesting discussion that leads us to loving your neighbor, taking action out of love and understanding our purpose as Christians.

I would like to focus on a few verses and terms of this chapter to illustrate how this affects my daily life and all God’s people in these contemporary times. The sheep and the goat’s metaphor illustrate the good and the evil. The right hand is favored over the left side. And “the least of these” represents people in general. Scholars are somewhat divided on the “all the nations” referred to in this reading. I have taken the side that all nations mean all people.

I have had an opportunity to involve myself in various ministry functions over the past seven years consisting of Charity work, RCIA team, hospital visits, visiting youth shelters, serving at homeless shelters and various other projects. Over this seven year period I have become called to learn more about the areas that Jesus refers to in this gospel, food, drink, welcome, clothing, nursing care and visitation. These six works of mercy are really only illustrative examples of what the passage refers to. The bottom line to me means “love your neighbor”. Whether it’s helping someone change a flat tire or providing basic care for a sick person. The kinds of mercy that Jesus rewards here are within reach of every person.

Reflecting on this gospel has made me aware of the seriousness of the sins of omission. How I have extended love and care for the weakest and most helpless among us is how I have treated Christ. The poor not only include the economically deprived, it also includes all those who suffer oppression and powerlessness. Although, I have a long way to go, I have become an advocate of stewardship as a result of my studies. Parts of my efforts have included small donations to (CRS) Catholic Relief Services. I have also begun writing letters or emails to senators and representatives of Congress on the poor, needy, starving people around the world. Each day I am becoming more motivated and called to take action.

Now as I revisit this passage of the “judgment of nations” I become very uncomfortable about my efforts that I have made thus far. I can do more. I realize that a preferential option of the poor is not an option, it is a mandate. As a disciple of Jesus I need to take action out of love for my neighbors versus worrying about judgment described in this reading. The catch twenty two that most people, including myself get into is how my little contribution can make a difference. I have decided that I can make a difference. Twenty Dollars donated would provide a day’s supply of emergency food for 80-100 malnourished children in Sudan. $500.00 will supply a well for clean drinking water. A visit to a nursing home to offer a reading, the Eucharist or just a friendly smile can help add life to these sometimes forgotten neighbors. Whether I support CRS or my local food bank, visit a hospital or write to my congress Representative, I am standing up for justice and doing something.

I can strengthen the community as a whole by assisting those who are most vulnerable. I need to make it a habit of looking at the world from the perspective of the marginalized. This will require not only continuing to do my little part to share my time, talent, and treasure, (stewardship) with others but to also evangelize my daily contacts with the same enthusiasm and determination that Jesus is promoting in his teaching. Evangelizing and stewardship are the two most misunderstood ministries in the Catholic faith. Maybe my enthusiasm toward these areas will help bring them to the forefront in this blog.

In the developing world 1.2 billion people are living below the international poverty line of earning less than $1.00 per day. It is a sin that 24,000 (plus or minus) people die each day of hunger and hunger related causes. That is one person every 3.6 seconds who was made in the image of God and destroyed by the sin of omission. I must continue to ask, why are people starving around the world? Why is the USA, the richest nation in the world, allowing its people to live in poverty, and to be homeless in this land of opportunity?

Part of the message in Matthew's reading is not just to do each of these acts of mercy, but to preach this gospel message to others until all have heard it. I can never stop questioning an oppressive system that forces billions of our brothers and sisters in our country and around the world to live in poverty. I can never again sit back and accept the fact that literally thousands of defenseless unborn babies are being slaughtered by abortion. Nor can I sit back any longer and live with the fact that over 25 million people have now died of AIDS, which is senseless. Life and dignity of the human person needs to be the moral vision of our society.

My spiritual journey over the past seven years has lead me in various directions and given me a clearer understanding of my obligations and gifts as a disciple of Christ. Regardless of where I land in this journey I will have fire in my heart for those who need to be loved. I pray that through this blog and the efforts of Christians everywhere we can make a difference to stop this insanity. Peace in Christ! Mike

No comments: