Sunday, August 24, 2008

Assisi's Charm Lies in its Beauty & My Friend St. Francis


All my life I have been attracted to St. Francis, for his simple, yet articulate way of preaching the Gospel. He was strange in many ways referring to himself as brother ass, preaching to birds, praising God, for sister death of our bodies. Yet, he really had a grip on how nature and man have been created by God to be in harmony. Back in 2003, Sharon and I had our first opportunity to visit Italy, which took in Rome, Tuscany, Florence and Assisi.

I have to admit, that even though we witnessed some of the most beautiful Cathedrals in Italy, Assisi was more exciting, spiritual, and like being with my friendly saint, all the time I was there. I must return again to spend much more time investigating the life of my friend.

St. Francis has had hundreds of books written about his life and times in the walled community of Assisi that dates back to pre-Roman times, inhabited by the Umbri and then the Romans. He is the patron Saint of Animals and Ecology because of his fondness for the animals, nature, and creation in general. His famous simple statue sits in our Flower garden to remind us that the world is blessed to have such beauty.

Perhaps Saint Francis is not given enough credit and attention on his literary works and his preaching that was so profound in many ways. His writings go right to the heart and bring out the best in those of us who participate in his spiritual works. His fans are not just Catholics, his famous prayer is shared by all. I like one of his quotes that seems to keep me on the straight and narrow. He says: "I have done what is mine to do; may Christ teach you what is yours to do"

When I start feeling a little cocky about getting all my duties and goals reached, rather than rest in my laurels, I look at another famous quote by Francis that says: ""Let us begin to do good, for as yet we have done little".

I hope you have some time in the near future to investigate this wonderful saint, you'll be moved by his spirituality, his holiness, and the example he has set for all Christians to live by. His other famous quote is: "Preach the Gospel often, sometimes use words" In other words, do the footwork. May peace be with you and your family, Mike

No comments: